How to clean the air in the apartment: plants that clean the air
Trying to make their home more comfortable and beautiful, as a rule, the owners acquire various elements of decor and furniture, while few people think about how this can affect air quality. The fact is that these same "new things" can emit a variety of substances. .
Why are indoor flowers so useful for the home?
Laminate and linoleum, electrical appliances, plastic - all this can hardly be called environmentally friendly household items, especially when it comes to budget choice. Specialists warn of traces of formaldehyde in finishing materials, and society is actively listening to their recommendations. Today it is considered more reasonable to restore a grandmother’s buffet or an oak table, rather than buying a new, cheap piece of furniture.
Flowers and plants are becoming one of the main natural inclusions of the modern interior. They form a natural decor, vibrant and changing.
Ficus and dracaena, citrus and chlorophytums can revive any color scheme. And it is not only beautiful, but also useful.
Consider why indoor plants are so useful for the home:
- Residents of megacities cannot rely only on airing the apartment. The air outside the window is saturated with exhaust gases and industrial emissions. Many plants are able to absorb harmful substances and even secrete volatile, which kill microbes.
- In an average apartment there are a lot of devices that give electromagnetic radiation: a computer, a microwave oven, a TV, a mobile, etc. Long-term exposure to radiation, of course, affects the well-being of households. Headaches, insomnia, fatigue - this is often manifested in this way. Plants that cleanse the air, perfectly cope with such a problem. At least part of the electromagnetic radiation absorbs the home garden.
- In winter, heating radiators dry the air. People see a consequence of this on the condition of the skin, on dry mucous membranes. Home plants purify the air.
- In a house where there are smokers, plants are also appropriate. They help clean the air not only from dust and toxins, but also from tobacco smoke.
- The phytoncidal properties of plants are underestimated by those who prefer artificial analogues to living flowers. Yes, the latter can be very decorative, but they do not emit anything. And, in fact, they only collect dust.
Finally, the vegetation in the house does not require large expenses in the care: neither financial nor temporary. Even very busy people will not be a burden.
Housing detox: sorting out which plants purify the air
What plants purify the air most effectively?
Strictly speaking, all the greenery growing in your home cleans the air, at least from carbon dioxide CO₂ - carbon dioxide, which we exhale. In return, it produces oxygen. But, most likely, your home is equipped with the latest technical ideas, and much more dangerous substances that stand out from carpets, wallpaper, plastic, furniture, rubber and cleaning products are floating in its air. You must admit that it is not entirely pleasant to find that in your designer interiors, in the midst of leather sofas and iridescent crystal chandeliers, pairs of benzene, formaldehyde, toluene, xylene and trichlorethylene hover. Add bacteria, mold and dust to this. It turns out that “home, sweet home” is not even “sweet”: the air in it is contaminated with harmful impurities that poison you every day. A simple and effective way to improve home ecology is to plant plants that cleanse the air.
Green Helpers for Air Purification
Currently, it is indoor plants as natural natural filters that are the most faithful and safe helpers in purifying the air from various harmful impurities. The most effective of them are indoor plants, presented below.
This variety of dracaena is very common and can reach a height of up to 3 meters. The dracaena itself resembles a miniature palm tree. This plant feels comfortable in bright sunlight and in diffuse lighting. The soil should not be moist, but it should be sufficiently moist. For dracaena, the water in the pan is fatal.
Pelargonium (geranium) perfectly cleans, ionizes and disinfects the air. In addition, for many, it serves as a cure for headache. Geranium requires high light and plentiful watering. However, the plant rejects surface spraying, and in winter it needs a lower temperature.
This plant is a palm tree, capable of reaching a height of 1-2 meters. The plant releases moisture into the air, which makes it especially useful in dry air during the heating season. Despite the fact that this palm tree has a positive attitude to bright light, it is better not to place it in direct sunlight. The soil must be kept moist.
This indoor plant copes with air purification, and its unusual flowers also take part in this. Spathiphyllum does not tolerate bright light, loves shade and requires high humidity. The soil should be slightly moist at all times.
This is a vine capable of having a length of 2 meters or more. Epipremnum golden is considered one of the most effective plants that clean the air in the house. It grows in any light, but is afraid of direct sunlight. It needs to be watered as the soil begins to dry. When the plant reaches a long length, it is recommended to remove the mustache.
This plant is a climbing shrub that is easily grown in hanging pots. Hedera is great for dealing with allergens present in the room, such as mold. This shrub is the plant of choice for low-lit rooms, but it needs to be watered abundantly, the ground should always be kept moist. In winter, watering frequency decreases.
Aglaonema is interesting in that it gives fruits of red color, significantly increasing its decorative qualities. The plant loves high humidity, well-drained soil and diffused light. You can put the aglaonema in a pan with water by placing the pot so that it does not come into contact with water. Before watering, make sure that the topsoil is dry, as the plant feels comfortable only with moderate watering.
Chlorophytum is considered the most unpretentious indoor plant. The plant has long and narrow leaves of white-green color, as well as a drooping aerial whiskers with short processes. It grows well both in the light and in the shade. In the light, the leaves become bright. Watering is rare. Then chlorophytum will absorb moisture from the roots. With more frequent watering, it grows faster.
Sansevieria is considered a very hardy and durable indoor plant. It has long, hard leaves of dark green color with horizontal stripes that are lighter in tone. This plant loves bright light and during growth prefers moderate watering when the topsoil has already dried up. In winter, the frequency of watering is reduced, but it is not recommended to allow complete drying of the soil.
The leaves of this plant are usually wide, shiny, dark green or variegated. Its aerial roots have the ability to wrap around the trunk, forming interesting shapes. Ficus elastic grows in bright diffused light and requires moderate watering when the soil dries slightly.
It should be noted that all these indoor plants are far from alone in their ability to release oxygen and cleanse the air of harmful substances. These are just some examples of such plants. In addition, each of these natural filters is one specific variety of the same plant. So, for example, dracaena is also Treelike, Fragrant, etc. But regardless of the type of dracaena, its ability to remove benzene and formaldehyde impurities from the air is preserved. The same goes for the rest of the plants. Therefore, the room can be decorated with the same plant in its various forms. What other plants can become your assistants in landscaping an apartment or house, maintaining cosiness in it and, most importantly, normal ecology?
This plant will not only make the air in your room cleaner and safer, but will also delight you with beautiful bright colors. In folk medicine, the therapeutic properties of Kalanchoe are widely used. It helps to cope with a runny nose. In the room where there is this flower, pathogens practically do not occur.
Like any flowering plant, Kalanchoe loves bright lighting. During the flowering period, it should be watered more often than usual.
If you do not have this houseplant, be sure to get it. Aloe well removes formaldehyde from the air, helps with colds and colds. It is enough to instill instill a few drops of juice in the nose for prevention and treatment.
This houseplant is not afraid of a polluted environment. Chlorophytum is not only an interior decoration, it actively purifies the air.
The home flower has established itself as a good fighter with dust and harmful microorganisms. It absorbs all toxins released by synthetic materials.
Buy an adult flower. For a three-room apartment, several pots with Chlorophytum are enough.
Geranium or Pelargonium
The plant copes well with pathogens and bacteria in the air. Geranium has a beneficial effect on the human body, improving sleep, calming the nervous system. The aroma of geranium refreshes stagnant air, scares off flies. Geranium is also able to absorb carbon monoxide and damp. Indoor flower is great for the bedroom, as well as the kitchen.
Varieties of dracaena:
- Dracaena marginata,
- Fragrant Dracaena (Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana"),
- Dracaena derema Janet Craig, (Dracaena deremensis "Janet Craig"),
- Dracaena Warnecki (Dracaena deremensis "Warneckii")
These are plants of different shapes and sizes. The fragrant dracaena “Massangeana” reaches a height of 1.5 m and has a beautiful yellow strip on the leaves. Dracaena Marginata - one of the most common varieties of dracaena, can reach 3 m in height, it resembles a miniature palm tree.
Care: different types of dracaena relate differently to illumination. Before purchasing, find out the preferences of the plant. The soil should be moist, but not moist. For dracaena, the water in the pan is deadly. In summer and spring you can fertilize with universal liquid fertilizer.
Eliminates: formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, benzene, trichlorethylene.
A beautiful houseplant that neutralizes the tar and nicotine released during smoking. Indoor plant cleans the air of tobacco smoke, suitable for rooms in which they smoke.
Probably, many tried to grow mandarin or lemon at home. And such an occupation in a certain way can be successful. Even if your tree grows to only 1.5 m, it will be very beautiful. Under certain circumstances, citrus fruits can even bear fruit. They perfectly clean the air in the apartment from bacteria, they are called natural disinfectants. And they will become natural aromatherapy at home.
- citrus fruits need a deep and roomy flowerpot, and also once in 1-2 years the tree will have to be replanted;
- watering citrus fruits require moderate;
- Do not put the plant near heating radiators;
- photophilous citrus is good in full light, but it is also impossible to say that they are afraid of dark places.
Lemon tree is often grown in the nursery, but on condition that the owners of the nursery are already at the age when they themselves can water the tree and take care of it with their parents. It will be very interesting for the children to observe the process of lemon growth.
A strong trunk with delicate bark, thin branches and quivering leaves - this small tree is found at home, in the office, and in other public buildings. A well-groomed plant looks great, decorates the interior, looks like a self-sufficient natural decor. It perfectly cleans the air of dust accumulated in it. And ficus resists the harmful compounds that plastic releases.
How to care for ficus:
- you don’t need to move it often: define a tree for a permanent place, and do not change it, otherwise the ficus can lose foliage due to stress;
- the optimum temperature for the plant is +20 and a little more; the ficus is afraid of drafts and sharp temperature jumps;
- the plant loves the sun, but does not tolerate direct sunlight;
- you need to water it 1 or 2 times a week, only with warm water.
Attractive, large, while elegant plant most often decorates the living room.
Useful, beautiful plant with pointed leaves. During flowering, buds form on its stems, from which delicate white or pinkish flowers soon appear. In shape, these flowers resemble a heart, which is why this plant is often presented to each other by lovers.
Care for spathiphyllum involves:
- moderately warm climate in the apartment, protection against drafts;
- loose soil with dry river sand;
- not too plentiful watering, but regular moistening of the soil;
- sunlight, although even in the shaded area of the dwelling spathiphyllum can grow very well.
Unique plant so that it resists the harmful effects of mold, formaldehydes, trichlorethylene and other toxic elements. It can live anywhere except in the kitchen: it is dangerous for him to be there due to temperature changes.
Recommendations for owners
If plants from the above list already decorate your home, take a look at more exotic options. For example, a great acquisition would be a laurel. It also releases substances that fight microbes. And laurel perfectly affects the lungs of a person, protects our body from respiratory pathologies. It will be beneficial for the lungs to have home and asparagus. People often call it "herringbone". And myrtle (very cute, by the way) helps with respiratory diseases and even relieves asthma attacks. True, one should not get involved in such plants either; one does not need to move everything from the list home. At high concentrations, a pronounced aroma of plants can lead to headaches.
It remains only to think over the decorative scheme: plants can be decorated not only with window sills, but also with shelves, racks, modular walls, cabinets and chests of drawers. And at the same time create incredibly attractive, harmonious combinations.
- Try to place at least one houseplant in a pot with a diameter of at least 15 cm for every 10 m2 of the room.
- In order to improve air quality, it is better to group indoor plants, and not to place them one by one.
- To achieve maximum results, the leaves of indoor plants are recommended to be freed from dust or to shower with them (depending on the specific type of plant).
- The use of filters, additionally introduced into the soil, contributes to a more efficient air purification. So, for example, activated carbon, placed in a pot with a plant, enhances its cleansing properties in general.
- If there are children in the house, as well as pets, when purchasing any plant, you need to make sure that it is safe.
- If the house has an allergic person or an asthmatic, then before you start indoor plants, consult an allergist, because mold can grow in the soil, exacerbating the course of the disease.