Why geranium does not bloom: problems and solutions
Geranium is highly appreciated for its magnificent spectacular flowering, which sometimes lasts several months. Large inflorescences with bright petals have a delicate aroma.
But it happens that the long-awaited flowering does not occur or passes completely unnoticed (peduncles are weak, and there are very few corollas).
What to do in this case and how to help your pet?
When does geranium produce inflorescences and how long does this period last?
The time when geranium blooms is usually in the spring and summer months. Important quickly respond to the needs of the flower and timely make the necessary trace elementsthat will support the plant during the growing season.
With mineral additives, flowering at home will begin in late March - mid-April and will last until September.
Flowering conditions of geraniums
What to do to make the geranium bloom? The answer is simple - comply with the conditions of detention. For the successful formation of peduncles, you need:
- Maintain air temperature in the summer at around 20 ° C, and in winter at around 14 ° C.
- Avoid stagnation of moisture in the pot and do not spray the leaves.
- Provide bright but diffused light (direct rays will cause burns).
- Fertilize regularly. However, during winter sleep, all feeding is canceled.
- Conduct sanitary scraps, removing all dried and broken leaves, as well as faded corollas.
- Transplant the plant as the old pot becomes small. The transplant is carried out in the spring; young geraniums are transplanted annually, and adults - as needed. When transplanting, you need to choose a suitable pot: it should not be too spacious.
- Observe the period of winter rest. At this time exclude the introduction of fertilizing, reduce the amount of watering and lower the air temperature.
Why does not geranium blossom, but gives only foliage
Sometimes you can observe this picture: geranium does not bloom and stretches up, releasing foliage abundantly. Often a transplant causes such a reaction, and the reason is a poorly selected pot.
Too spacious new home is the explanation why pelargonium does not bloom, but only actively builds green mass and develops the root system.
Important! A new pot should be just a couple of centimeters larger than the size of the root system.
What affects the flowering of geraniums
To flower stalks formed strong and in sufficient quantity, a combination of many circumstances is necessary. However, it is up to the owner to improve the conditions.
When choosing a pot follow the "rule of 4 centimeters": the diameter of the container should not exceed the diameter of the root system by more than 4 cm.
An unsuitable substrate is one of the reasons why geraniums do not bloom. A flower does not like heavy, scarce soils. Pelargonium is needed for a successful vegetation loose, breathable soil with a high content of trace elements.
Excessive and frequent watering will lead to stagnation of the fluid and decay of the root system of the pelargonium. therefore water the flower only as the topsoil dries.
Important! It is better to dry the plant a little than to fill it: a short-term drought of geranium will transfer much calmer floods.
A comfortable mode is the key to a good flower development. If you do not observe winter sleep, you should not expect spring flowering.
Very it is important to organize the period when the plant slows down all life processes and rests properly. To do this, reduce the temperature to 13 ... 15 ° C.
Photophilous geranium, however long exposure to direct sunlight does not tolerate well. Diffused, but bright lighting is the key to abundant flowering.
Improper dormancy care
During dormancy, all life cycles of the plant are inhibited. Geranium does not require a large amount of nutrients and frequent watering.
Therefore, it is so important to observe the principle of minimum care at this time:
- do not make any fertilizing;
- Do not finish the plant additionally;
- water no more than once a week.
Formative pruning can be done either in early springwhen the geranium has not yet fully woken up from a winter dream, or in the fall after flowering.
The rest of the time, you should not cut the flower. You can remove dried leaves and inflorescences, but you can’t form a bush.
How to make geraniums bloom regularly and plentifully
In order for geranium to please with a magnificent cap of inflorescences, you will have to make an effort:
- adhere to the optimal temperature regime;
- observe the regime of watering and do not spray the plant;
- provide good but diffused lighting;
- select a pot corresponding to the size of the root system;
- choose loose nutrient soil;
- regularly trim and feed.
If the flower develops normally, but does not bloom, you can create unfavorable conditions for him to stimulate his vital mechanisms.
The means of "shock therapy" will be:
- radical pruning of the bush (leave only 2 "eyes") at the very beginning of spring;
- increase in the percentage of iodine in the soil.
How to feed
Geranium can not be fed with organic fertilizers. For successful awakening and the formation of green mass at the beginning of spring nitrogen-containing mineral complexes, and with the appearance of peduncles go to potassium phosphate fertilizers.
Pruning and transplanting
Pruning is an important stage in the life and development of a flower. Without regular thinning of the green mass, flowering will be sparse and short-lived.
Regular transplants are also important, because over time, the soil becomes poorer and does not provide the geranium with proper nutrition.
How to care during flowering
After the geranium has faded, it is absolutely impossible to change the mode sharply. Autumn preparations for the winter sleep period will be an investment in the following flowering:
- remove all inflorescences and dried greens;
- cut off too long shoots;
- to form a crown.
Attention! The main stem is shortened by a third of the total length.
Subsequent care does not differ from the norms and recommendations of the usual content of geranium. The main thing is to carefully monitor the condition of the flower and respond in a timely manner.
Geranium - beautiful and unpretentious plant, requires minimal care. But if she is provided with comfortable conditions, she will delight with magnificent and plentiful flowering.